The media team at SafetyWing is building the world’s first media company for digital nomads and remote workers, and we’re on the hunt for the Editor in Chief who will lead the effort and the team building it.
We are building a global social safety net, including health and retirement for remote workers worldwide, as a replacement for national welfare systems. If we succeed, we believe this will help ensure freedom and equal opportunity for everyone, and it is one of the more important tasks of our time that no one else is working on.
This is a full-time role and we are open to applicants based anywhere in the world (though the Americas and Europe/Africa time zones are easiest). This role involves working with the current media team of ~10 (composed of growth, content, PR, social media, design and development leads), and scaling that team into the future.
We currently have 3 content platforms:
1. Building Remotely – a blog, podcast and collection of resources to help build a remote company.
2. Borderless – currently an interactive map showing travel restrictions and requirements during COVID. This summer, it will transform into a collection of city guides for nomads.
3. Plumia – an umbrella project for SafetyWing’s efforts to increase the global mobility rights of people everywhere by building a country on the internet.
We also have guidelines for freelance writers and journalists to pitch us their ideas for all of the above mentioned content platforms.
We believe media is the gateway to community. We have bold plans for SafetyWing media platforms to be at the forefront of the nomadic and remote work movements, providing a guiding source of information where there currently isn’t much. The project is ambitious, but we’re perfectly suited to tackling it. We’re looking for someone who can not only lead our energetic media team, but build our burgeoning publications to become leading media products.
💻 Your responsibilities will include
- Leading and coordinating our media team, including 1-1’s, team meetings and communicating our progress to the rest of the company.
- Working with the team to develop the long-term vision of our media, as well as the immediate roadmap of priorities.
- Build a scaling plan for editorial systems, as well as experimenting with new content channels and verticals.
- Liaise with stakeholders across the company to align on goals, team growth, brand, external comms, and the other aspects of a scaling, venture-backed startup.
- Manage editorial budgets and resources and be the primary point of contact with external agencies and other collaborators.
🧪 We are looking for someone who
- Is both passionate and insatiably curious about both media and technology. We like people who think differently and want to break new ground through their work.
- Has good knowledge of the creator economy and other developments in internet culture, the future of work and borderless living.
- Is keen to develop culture and values, both internally and externally, to help us move from content department to innovative media hub.
- Brings an optimistic and solutions-focused perspective, both as a person and in their media lens.
- Is a founder-type personality who has fun with their work.
😀 We like to work with people who:
- Want to help build a global social safety net on the Internet.
- Think for themselves instead of copying others.
- Are willing to try new things, even with the risk of failure.
- Are intellectually curious and open to new ideas.
- Are creative and bold in the face of any problems.
- Have strong integrity and do the right thing.
🧘 What we offer
We operate in a fully remote work environment – work from anywhere globally.
You will receive salary and equity compensation, health insurance, a laptop, a minimum of four weeks of the yearly vacation, personal development budget, attendance of professional conferences (and much more 😉).
We have a minimum of two annual team gatherings where you will join us. The previous gatherings were in Ljubljana, San Francisco, and Mexico.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
SafetyWing was founded to support nomads like ourselves by building an adaptable software-based global social safety net.
Our products are created by a fully remote team distributed across the globe and stretching ten timezones while headquartered in San Francisco.
We’re here to remove the role of geographical borders as a barrier to equal opportunities and freedom for everyone.
To apply for this job please visit safetywing.pinpointhq.com.