Description: The Digital Content Specialist (DCS) has three primary responsibilities:
- Leading Harvard Magazine’s digital outreach for its contents and business operations;
- Writing social media posts and headlines for web and email, creating additional social content;
- Growing HM’s audience and brand awareness.
The DCS will serve as HM’s primary content promoter via social media and e-mail, working with both editorial and business colleagues to create content that increases awareness and establishes a real “voice” for the magazine, and a social calendar that ensures content is timely, relevant, and cohesive to larger social media strategy.
In that capacity, the DCS will serve as a liaison between the magazine and other Harvard University digital/social media accounts, helping to establish digital partnerships (podcast, video series, etc.) and endeavoring to reach new audiences.
The DCS will remain current on industry trends and algorithmic changes, as well as SEO best practices; and provide measurable feedback on the reach of Harvard Magazine’s digital initiatives and their impact.
All of these duties will be geared toward raising awareness of the magazine across all digital platforms and channels and engaging its readers/listeners/users.
Specific digital-media duties include:
- Developing a social content strategy, coordinating the social calendar, and writing, editing, and posting content to HM’s social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc.);
- Meeting regularly with editors to discuss articles and form a content promotion strategy (identifying people/accounts to tag, targeted email outreach, visual storytelling);
- Working with the Multimedia Producer to create and produce native content (e.g. Instagram stories) using HM’s assets and subjects and identifying new opportunities to leverage HM’s robust archive;
- Selecting content and writing headlines for monthly and weekly e-mails;
- Building solid relationships with strong outside referral sources in order to promote print, digital, and audio content;
- Finding new ways to talk and engage with HM readers online, and monitoring social channels for trends and user feedback;
- Developing strategies for testing medium and message, updating best practices for engaging audiences on social and email platforms;
- Leading HM digital strategy committee, reviewing strategies, implementing best practices, and regularly reporting on analytics for all platforms;
- Advising HM writers and editors on social strategies and ways to increase their individual social presence and hosting workshops to educate staff on strategies and best practices;
- Working with the Creative Marketing Director to promote business and fundraising initiatives such as special sections, new premiums, end-of-year campaigns; meeting regularly with business staff to strategize (attending monthly business meetings);
- Identifying and attending industry-related conferences, courses, and seminars.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years social-media experience
Additional Qualifications And Skills
- Demonstrated success with growing a following, preferably in a news organization
- Directly related web and social-media experience required—preferably in a news organization.
- Fluency with social-media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok, etc.) and prior experience with e-mail production using a platform like Mailchimp required.
- Experience with SEO and analytics required (Google Search Advertising or Hubspot SEO certification preferred).
- Use of content management systems such as Drupal is preferred.
- Proven comfort with learning and mastering new applications and technologies.
- A passion for great storytelling, digital innovation, and new technologies.
- The ability to plan comprehensively, work both independently and collaboratively, and manage projects to satisfy competing deadlines.
- Attention to detail.
- The ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where you don’t wait for direction but instead pitch new ideas and strategies
- The presence and confidence to interact directly with editorial leadership.
Experience with Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, and other digital marketing platforms a plus.
Applications must include a resume, cover letter, and examples of social campaigns, or website promotion for which the applicant has been responsible, with a description of the applicant’s work/role.
Candidates selected for further review will be required to complete social media exercises and to present a brief action plan for improving our social and digital products.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.