About the Role
“It is much easier to hate something you don’t fully understand.” – Behavioral Scientist on Taxes
We’re on a mission to change the way people think and feel about taxes. A crucial part of this journey will be to help more Americans UNDERSTAND the tax system and how changes throughout the year impact them. From Cardi B to Trump, taxation has made headlines in mainstream culture, and we believe there is an opportunity to own a voice in the conversation that’s expert yet relatable.
We’re looking for a senior creative writer to join our marketing team to build and grow the voice of April. This role will start as a content and social media marketing generalist, with the opportunity to dive deeper into one of these two areas or build a team underneath you as we grow. The role reports to the VP of Marketing, and will work closely with other functions like tech, product, design and tax strategy.
- You’re insatiably curious about the world, and have a personal interest in financial education (e.g. you get fired up about the lack of financial literacy curriculum in schools).
- You have a way with words. You understand what makes a good story. You enjoy writing both short and long form content that’s not just fluff but adding value to our audiences.
- You have a healthy media consumption across politics, culture, news, and TikTok, you’re on top of what’s trending in mass media and social media and have ideas on how we can make tax culturally relevant.
- You’re not scared by complexity and seemingly ‘dry’ subjects – you’re excited to work with subject matter experts in the tax space and get into the weeds to be the translator to non-tax expert audiences.
- Excited about taking the reins on owning our voice and our content practice in an ambiguous and fast moving tech start-up environment.
Key responsibilities in year one
- Kickstarting a weekly newsletter to customers & partners about tax. Naming the newsletter, ideating and experimenting with formats, playing the role of editor and writing the bite-sized tax news and tips content weekly.
- Owning our blog (https://blog.getapril.com/) strategy, defining content pillars and working with our internal teams to write a steady cadence of posts throughout the year.
- Strategizing our social media presence and working with the VP of Marketing to determine the right channels to focus on. Owning a social media calendar and finding opportunities for us to participate or interact with our audiences.
- Working with our PR and creative agencies to launch and amplify campaigns.
- Coming up with new ideas where our brand can show up digitally (Reddit much?) with value-add content for our audiences.
Interview & review process
We want to give you as much transparency as possible, as early as possible!
Please submit writing samples that show the diversity of your work and personal experience. We’re especially looking for examples where you’ve made complex subject matter simple and easy to understand, and examples of how you’ve brought a brand personality to the page.
We may ask you to complete a short creative project which is designed not to take more than 1 hour to complete (we value your time).
April believes that every taxpayer should have a best-in-class tax experience, regardless of their background, income bracket, or what they can afford to pay. We build products to improve their financial wellbeing, reduce anxiety around taxes, and provide tools that put their taxes to work for them.
For financial institutions, April is a first-of-its-kind tax experience that is completely frictionless and integrated with the financial services ecosystem. Unlike other DIY tax solutions, we leverage and reinforce their relationship with their members, driving mutual value, savings and new offerings.
To apply for this job please visit www.getapril.com.